Monday, May 24, 2010

Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad


It Takes Burning Down A Summer Camp For UNRWA To Notice

Posted: 24 May 2010 09:23 AM PDT

Maybe it was the bug juice?Masked gunmen from an Islamist group torched a UN-run summer camp for children and teens in Gaza on Sunday, Army Radio reported, the top UN aid official in Gaza said.John Ging says the assailants tied up the guard early Sunday, burned tents and vandalized bathrooms. UN officials say the attackers left behind three bullets and a note threatening to kill Ging and others unless the UN cancels its activities for some 250,000 Gaza children.Two days before the incident, the previously unknown "The Free of the Homeland" group issued a statement criticizing the camp's organizer, the...

What's the difference between "disgraced" and a "higher ethical standard?"

Posted: 24 May 2010 03:30 AM PDT

To recap: The ultimately fatal blow to his tenure came early on Dec. 9 when Blagojevich was arrested on federal corruption charges following a massive investigation in which authorities say he was caught on federal wiretaps scheming to sell the U.S. Senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama, among other crimes. Even before his arrest, Blagojevich was trying to govern as scandal swirled. Questions arose about Blagojevich's practice of appointing political contributors to state boards or giving them state jobs. Federal investigators also examined real estate commissions his wife, Patricia, received from people doing state business and a curious $1,500...

The messaging or the strategy

Posted: 24 May 2010 01:43 AM PDT

In a meeting with fifteen Rabbis last week, White House shief of staff Rahm Emanuel said that the administration "screwed up the messaging." Part of me wants to buy that, but I'm very skeptical. I'd have been a lot more reassured had Emanual said, "we screwed up our strategy." For one thing as Jennifer Rubin notes, the Rabbis chosen to meet with the President were known for being favorably disposed towards him. As to the build-up, Moline lets on that no one predisposed to say nasty things about Obama was invited, nor was anyone who didn't vote for him. ("We...

The first prejudice

Posted: 24 May 2010 01:31 AM PDT

For years I thought that my sons were best suited for playing second base. Like me. Like me they tended to be short, had some quickness and did not hit for power. My two older sons mostly played second base. But a few years ago a coach suggested that my youngest play first base. I didn't object, but I didn't think it was a good idea. He's too short. But the coach put him at first and he played well. He was at least as sure handed as other boys at the position. This year, another coach put him...

What if obamacare applied to state lotteries?

Posted: 23 May 2010 07:47 AM PDT

Two months ago I received an e-mail from my Senator, Ben Cardin extolling the many benefits that will accrue to his constituents due to the recently signed health care bill. I read through them all and my reaction was the same for most of them. Nice, but that will raise premiums. Then I got to the last one and it really scared me. Requires plans in the individual and small group market to spend 80 percent of premium dollars on medical services, and plans in the large group market to spend 85%. Insurers that do not meet these thresholds must...

No comments: