Sunday, April 18, 2010

Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad


Ma'an: "Salafi leader in Gaza: We count over 11,000 members"

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 05:38 PM PDT

New developments. Hamas proved to be rather forgiving about that "emirate" declaration and its aftermath:We, the Salafists, count more than 11,000 members who carry with them jihadist teachings from both Ayman At-Thawahri and Osama Bin Laden," said Abu Al-Hareth, leader of the Jund Ansar Allah, during an interview in his poorly lit Gaza home. "Of this number, 70 percent are members of the Jaljalat, a group made up of former Al-Qassam Brigades and Hamas affiliates," he explained. The Salafist movement shot to public attention in the summer of 2009, when an Imam declared Gaza an "Islamic emirate" during a Friday...

Now you see bee now you don't

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 04:39 PM PDT

Funny thing. I think dogwoods in my neighborhood haven't bloomed as nicely as they have in the past. For one thing it appears that the flowers have been more sparse this year. (Did anyone else notice this?) Also the flowers don't seem to have stayed in bloom as long as I remember in the past. As long as I was photographing flowers, I figured I should get the dogwood before I lost my opportunity. That was about my best dogwood photo this year. I looked again and I saw: Wow. The bee wasn't moving so I got a nice...

First day of mowing the lawn for the year

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 04:25 PM PDT

Today was my first lawn mowing day of the season, so I took a picture of various flowers - planted and weeds in the yard....

The gates memo

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 08:58 AM PDT

A week and a half ago President Obama said: "I really have no response to that. The last I checked, Sarah Palin is not much of an expert on nuclear issues," Obama said in an interview with ABC News. Pressed further on Republican criticism that his strategy restricts the use of nuclear weapons too much, Obama added: "What I would say to them is, is that if the secretary of defense and the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff are comfortable with it, I'm probably going to take my advice from them and not from Sarah Palin." I agreed...

In which george washington compares unfavorably to aaron burr

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 04:53 AM PDT

via memeoranudm Aaron Burr, who killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel is generally held in low regard as a scoundrel. But in one way he is superior to the man who was described as "first in war, first in peace and first in the hearts of his countrymen.". The NY Daily News reports: He may have never told a lie, but George Washington apparently had no problem stiffing a Manhattan library on two books. Two centuries ago, the nation's first President borrowed two tomes from the New York Society Library on E. 79th St. and never returned them, racking up...

Doomed to repeat, in a new form

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 04:46 AM PDT

The editors of the Jerusalem Post write in the New Antisemitism: But what is a conscientious anti-Semite to do in an age of multiculturalism, when "otherness" is in? Singling out a Jew for being different, ridiculing his exotic traditions - in short, acting like an anti-Semite - is not just unpopular, it is downright unacceptable in the age of political correctness. The indefatigable anti-Semite will not be deterred, however. If he can no longer attack the Jew for keeping kosher, for wearing distinctive dress, for adhering to Shabbat, a different tack must be taken. The Jew must now be coopted...

Jewish blogging this week

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 02:53 AM PDT

I've fallen a bit behind on bloggng about the J-blogosphere. Last week's post Pesach Haveil Havalim was hosted at Frume Saran's world. This week's is hosted by my friend Snoopy the Goon at Simply Jews. He starts off with a haunting image from Dzeni, made up of names. (I see that she's also put up one for Yom Hazikaron at her site.) Thanks to Shimshonit for including my post in the most recent Kosher Cooking Carnival....

Fars News: "Iran Ready to Demolish US Forces"

Posted: 17 Apr 2010 09:53 PM PDT

The picture nicely compliments the title, don't you think? Anyway, whatever Obama's Iran-strategy is, I don't think it's working:A senior Iranian military commander downplayed recent speculations about a possible US attack on Iran, and said that Iranian forces have long been waiting to destroy the US forces and equipments in the region. "First we should wait and see whether they (enemies) are able to take such a move (attack on Iran) or not since we have been prepared to destroy the US forces and equipments in the region for the last 10 years," Iran's Armed Forces Chief of Staff Major...

No comments: